Discussion: View Thread

REMINDER: Associate Director of the Center for L.I.F.E. (Leading the Integration of Faith and Entrepreneurship) in the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship at Miami University

• 1.  REMINDER: Associate Director of the Center for L.I.F.E. (Leading the Integration of Faith and Entrepreneurship) in the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship at Miami University

Posted 02-07-2024 09:45

POSITION: The John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship in the Farmer School of Business at Miami University invites applications for Associate Director of the Center for L.I.F.E. (Leading the Integration of Faith and Entrepreneurship).

BACKGROUND: The John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship is housed in the Department of Entrepreneurship, which has been ranked among the Top 10 public schools for undergraduate entrepreneurship studies (#7 overall globally, #5 among public universities in 2024) for sixteen consecutive years in The Princeton Review® and Entrepreneur Magazine annual ranking of the Top 50 Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Programs in the world, combines strong academic scholarship and rigorous theoretical and empirical research with immersive, practice-based learning opportunities for students. The John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship, winner of the USASBE Model Program Award in 2024 as the top entrepreneurship program in the world in 2024 and winner of the NASDAQ Center of Entrepreneurial Excellence Award given annually by NASDAQ and the Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers (GCEC) to the top entrepreneurship center/institute in the world in 2020, supports co-curricular programs in startup and venture capital, social entrepreneurship and impact investing, corporate innovation and technology commercialization, and creativity and entrepreneurial thinking.

For more information about the Department of Entrepreneurship and the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship, please visit: https://miamioh.edu/fsb/academics/entrepreneurship/.

The Center for L.I.F.E. seeks to create world-class knowledge at the intersection of faith and entrepreneurship by cultivating pathways to publish excellent research in top-tier journals. The Center for L.I.F.E.'s focus on entrepreneurship is innovative and intentional. It aligns with the rapidly growing industry trend of integrating faith and entrepreneurship worldwide and complements this trend with academically rigorous, practically relevant knowledge creation. L.I.F.E's research, open to all faiths and inter-faith examinations, builds on Miami University's leadership position in interdisciplinary research and practice-based entrepreneurship education in social entrepreneurship and impact investing.

Since its founding as a Research Lab in 2018, the L.I.F.E. program, led by Founding Executive Director Dr. Brett Smith, University Distinguished Professor and the Endowed Cintas Chair in Entrepreneurship at Miami University, has directly or indirectly produced more than a dozen empirical and theoretical academic publications on faith and entrepreneurship, organized and held the "Global Research Conference on Faith & Entrepreneurship" for the past three consecutive years, an academic research conference that annually draws 100-150 entrepreneurship scholars from 20+ countries worldwide, and organized and held the "Doctoral Seminar on Religion and Entrepreneurship" for the past two years in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. It aligns with the rapidly growing industry trend of integrating faith and entrepreneurship worldwide and complements this trend with academically rigorous, practically relevant knowledge creation. L.I.F.E’s research, open to all faiths and inter-faith examinations, builds on Miami University’s leadership position in interdisciplinary research and practice-based entrepreneurship education in social entrepreneurship and impact investing.

For more information about the Center for L.I.F.E. and the L.I.F.E. initiative, please visit https://lifemiamioh.com/.

RESPONSIBILITIES: The Associate Director will have a range of responsibilities related to advancing academic research, teaching, and practice related to the Center for L.I.F.E. (Leading the Integration of Faith & Entrepreneurship). For teaching, this includes developing and supporting a network of universities around the world who engage in teaching of faith and entrepreneurship. For research, this includes developing, executing, and supporting research initiatives (advancing research projects, executing the LIFE Research Conference & Ph.D. seminar, and increasing translation of research to practice). For practice, this includes expanding connections between students and practice (leading the student group; expanding internship and placement connections with alumni and international faith & entrepreneurship ecosystem partners). This also includes the development, promotion, and execution of research and teaching-related events including research presentations, Distinguished Entrepreneurial Scholar Lecture Series, seminars, and conferences related to faith and entrepreneurship. Finally, this includes supporting external relations and communications with a range of stakeholders, including major donors.

The Associate Director, Center for L.I.F.E will advance current and new research projects and activities, including Ph.D. seminar and postdoctoral programs; build and support a network of universities around the world, focused on the best practices of teaching faith and entrepreneurship; execute engagement with Miami alumni, ecosystem partners, and major donors related to L.I.F.E.; assist with external communications and translation of research to practitioners; assist with all activities for the ongoing development of L.I.F.E., including research activities and student experiences; lead the L.I.F.E. student group; supervise student workers to execute events, including conferences and seminars; and other duties as assigned.

REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree with coursework in business, entrepreneurship or academic research plus 5 years of professional experience or master’s degree with coursework in business, entrepreneurship or academic research plus 3 years of professional experience; interest in academic research; experience and understanding of entrepreneurship (as demonstrated by coursework or professional experience); and experience leading new initiatives within a business, nonprofit, or academic setting.

DESIRED: Consideration may be given to candidates with a Master’s degree, Ph.D. or D.B.A.; at least one year of experience in academic research; experience translating academic research to practitioner audiences; experience with faith and entrepreneurship ecosystem; experience with graphic design; experience developing and promoting new programs or events; and scholarly research experience; excellent written / oral presentation and organization skills; organization skills and attention to details; ability to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends; and ability to travel.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Submit cover letter and resume to https://jobs.miamioh.edu/cw/en-us/job/502774/associate-director-center-for-life-leading-the-integration-of-faith-entrepreneurship. Inquiries may be directed to Brett Smith at smithbr2@miamioh.edu" target="_blank" rel="noopener">smithbr2@miamioh.edu. Screening of candidates begins February 9, 2024 and continues until the position is filled. 

Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.

For more information on Miami University's diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University's mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.

Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.  Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex/gender (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin (ancestry), disability, age (40 years or older), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, status as a parent or foster parent, military status, or veteran status in its recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.

As part of the University's commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2225.  Criminal background check required.  All campuses are smoke- and tobacco free.

Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).

------------------------------
    Tim R. Holcomb Ph.D.
    Professor and Chair, Department of Entrepreneurship
    Director, John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship
    Farmer School Endres Fellow
    Miami University | Farmer School of Business
    2078C FSB/MSC 1148 | 800 E. High Street | Oxford, Ohio 45056
    ------------------------------