-Apologies for crossposting-
5th SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP SUMMIT – SES2023
"From discourse to action: towards a lasting societal impact"
Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, 31th August to 1st September, 2023
The Social Entrepreneurship Summit (SES) is an event that brings together individuals from various sectors, such as academia, business, government, and entrepreneurs, to collaboratively address some of society's most challenging issues. The summit aims to foster collaboration and provide hands-on support to social entrepreneurs and other ecosystem actors. It is organized by "El Patio" the innovation unit at Universidad Tecnológica de Bolivar, with the support of the Chair of Social Entrepreneurship at Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and the School of Business and Economics at Maastricht University, in partnership with the ELANET Consortium of universities and organizations that support social entrepreneurship.
The first edition of the Social Entrepreneurship Summit was held in Santa Marta, Colombia in 2019. Since then, the summit has attracted the interest of over 800 participants from around the world, including those attending in-person and online. Our most recent summit was held in Cochabamba, Bolivia, where over 140 participants attended in-person, with an additional 70 participants joining online.
We are proud to present the SES2023 edition "From discourse to action: towards a lasting societal impact" to be held in Cartagena, Colombia, hosted by Universidad Tecnologica de Bolivar (UTB). For two days, the summit will provide a platform for sharing best practices (both from academia and practice), discussing emerging trends, and practical solutions to the most pressing challenges social entrepreneurship faces today. Together, we will explore the potential of social entrepreneurship to transform communities and create a lasting impact. Don't miss this unique opportunity to connect, come and present your ongoing research projects, social enterprises and connect with like-minded individuals to drive positive change.
Who can participate?
· Researchers and academics with a focus on social entrepreneurship and related fields;
· University leaders and professionals involved in international relations, outreach, and community engagement with interest in the relationship between universities and local communities;
· Students and professionals with interest in social entrepreneurship and related fields;
· Social entrepreneurs and business representatives working on projects with a social or environmental impact;
· Investors, venture capitalists, and philanthropists interested in supporting social entrepreneurship ventures;
· Business leaders and practitioners with connections to social entrepreneurship and corporate social responsibility;
· Policymakers and government agencies involved in supporting social and environmental initiatives;
· NGO's and other organizations involved in social or environmental projects;
· Leaders from incubators, accelerators, coworking spaces, and other innovation-focused organizations.
What are the main topics?
· Innovative/sustainable business models in social entrepreneurship
· Entrepreneurial Ecosystems and Social Entrepreneurship
· Social entrepreneurship and the base of the pyramid (BoP) context
· Social innovation and best practices/case studies
· Universities, Social Impact, and Social Entrepreneurship
· Circular economy and new business models
· Impact investing and social finance
· (The role of) technology and (in) social entrepreneurship
· Social entrepreneurship in a post-pandemic world
· Diversity, equity, and inclusion in social entrepreneurship.
· Corporate social responsibility - CSR and social entrepreneurship
· Social entrepreneurship in rural and remote communities
· Social entrepreneurship and healthcare innovation
· Ethics and values in social entrepreneurship
· Systemic practice and action research and social impact
This is not an exhaustive list of topics. Therefore, we will welcome any other submission on topics related to Social Entrepreneurship.
What are the participation styles?
· Academic Presentation: We welcome all types of scientific research, including literature reviews, conceptual papers, case studies, and qualitative/quantitative research.
· University Initiatives Presentation: Universities are invited to showcase their exemplary cases on how to support/stimulate social entrepreneurship through teaching, research, or outreach activities.
· Practitioner's Presentation: Social enterprises, practitioners, and government officials are encouraged to share their ideas and experiences on the topic by presenting their cases, best practices, and challenges to a broader audience to create awareness, establish new connections, and receive feedback.
· Round Table Debates: Proposals are welcome to open up debates on challenging topics in support of social entrepreneurship.
· Social Entrepreneurship Fair: Local social entrepreneurs will present and sell their products at the fair.
Submission and Registrations:
Abstracts of 1,000 words are required for all submissions, which should mention one of the above types and elaborate on proposed ideas. Both English and Spanish submissions are welcome, with a clear presentation of preference. All submissions will be subject to peer review.
Abstract Submissions: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ses20230
Conference website: www.vubsocialentrepreneurship.com/ses2023
- Event days - August 31th to September 1st, 2023
- Submission of Abstracts April 30, 2023
- Notification for Authors June 15, 2023
- Registration Deadline July 15, 2023
On behalf of the organizing committee,
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium)firstname.lastname@example.org