Discussion: View Thread

Webinar - The Cooperative Economy: A Solution to Societal Grand Challenges

• 1.  Webinar - The Cooperative Economy: A Solution to Societal Grand Challenges

Posted 13 days ago

Speaker: Dovev Lavie (Bocconi) 

|

Time: Wednesday, 8 May at 10 am (EST) / 3 pm (London). This webinar is scheduled for 90 minutes, including Q&A.

|

Registration: Please register here using this link to receive a personalized Zoom link and a reminder for this event.

|

In this webinar, I offer a solution to the interrelated societal grand challenges concerning economic inequality, the grip of platform owners, the loss of privacy and private choice, the overconsumption and abuse of natural resources, and some drawbacks of globalization. I argue that these problems are rooted in design flaws of the modern economic system. Contrary to established approaches that suggest that regulation, legislation, and antitrust enforcement, among other policy changes can help fix the current system, my book suggests that the economic system is unfixable. I offer guidelines for designing a new economic system that drives out opportunistic behavior while reinforcing prosocial behavior. The notion of the cooperative economy is unique, and its foundations depart from conventions of the modern economic system. I will relate to design principles of the cooperative economy and share preliminary findings that support this notion.

|

Suggested readings:

• Lavie, D. 2023. The Cooperative Economy: A Solution to Societal Grand Challenges. Routledge Books
    • Lavie, D. 2024. The dominance of Big Tech platforms: Should we revisit the principles of strategy?", A Chapter in Hauk, A.L, Larsen, M., Leiblein, M. & Reuer, J. (Eds.), Strategy in a Turbulent Era, Edward Elgar Publishing, Chapter 11, 231-252.

|

About the speaker:

Dovev Lavie is a Professor of Strategic Management in the Department of Management and Technology of Bocconi University in Milan. Formerly, he served as Professor and Vice Dean of MBA Programs at the Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Management at the Technion in Haifa. He earned his Ph.D. in Management at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and was an Assistant Professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He also held visiting positions at the London Business School, Imperial College London, University College London, and BI Norway. 

------------------------------
    Ibrat Djabbarov, PhD
    Imperial College London
    ------------------------------