Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 05-24-2023 11:31

I would love to know if your University/Business School has mandatory entrepreneurship courses at Bachelor or Master level. Thanks for letting us know. 

Andreas

------------------------------
    Andreas Rauch
    Audencia Business School
    Nantes

• 2.  RE: Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 05-25-2023 23:06

Back in 2016 I put together such a list, and posted it to my website eWeb. I haven't updated it since, but the list may be worthwhile as a starting place. If you have any updates, I would be glad to post them. The page is at https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/eweb/entrepreneurship-infrastructure/who-requires-entrepreneurship-education.

Jerome Katz
    Brockhaus Chair in Entrepreneurship
    Saint Louis University
    jerome.katz@slu.edu

• 3.  RE: Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 05-26-2023 21:30

We revised our business core curriculum at the undergrad level last year. Now, all incoming business students, across all majors, take a class early on, titled BUS 101 | INTRODUCTION TO DRIEHAUS: BUSINESS FUNDAMENTALS AND THE ENTREPRENEURIAL MINDSET 

https://catalog.depaul.edu/course-descriptions/bus/ 

Maija Renko
    DePaul University
    Chicago IL

• 4.  RE: Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 05-27-2023 22:11

We also require all undergrad business students to take ENTSP 310 Entrepreneurship and Innovation which is part of our business core courses.

Annaleena Parhankangas
    Iowa State University
    Ames IA
    (973) 444-2935

• 5.  RE: Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 05-27-2023 22:12

Hello Andreas,

We have both, undergrad, master andMBA compulsory entrepreneurship courses. Tecnológico de Monterrey was pioneer in implement entrepreneurship curriculum like transversal competence for all bachelor degrees (early 90). Now we have different type of courses, for different objectives. From entrepreneurial mindset in the first year of bachelor programs to CVC course for example in our Master in Finance.

Happy to share our experiences!

Ernesto 

Jose Amoros
    EGADE Business School, Tecnologico de Monterrey

+52 (55) 9177 8000

• 6.  RE: Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 05-28-2023 18:13

At Princeton we offer a minor/certificate in entrepreneurship as we do not have a business school or a business major. To receive the certificate students must take two mandatory classes: "Introduction to Value Creation" and "Creativity, Innovation, and Design" (winner of the AOM ENT DIV 2019 Innovation in Pedagogy Award). Students must also participate in an outside-of-school value creation endeavor and give a presentation comparing and contrasting their real world experience with what they learned in their classes. Student are also required to take 2 out of a list of about 8 relevant classes such as: Entrepreneurial Leadership, High Tech Entrepreneurship, Venture Capital and the Finance of Innovation, Entrepreneurship Policy, The History of Entrepreneurship, Ethnography for Research and Design, Professional Responsibility and Ethics, or an Experiential Hands-on Grow a Startup class.

Derek Lidow
    The Keller Center
    Princeton University

Derek Lidow
    Princeton University
    Princeton NJ
    (609) 258-2328

• 7.  RE: Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 05-30-2023 23:54

Interesting question, in my view entrepreneurship education should indeed be mandatory for all studies. In the Netherlands this isn't the case yet. Still we work to improve this by creating learning communities and work with challenge based learning. There's made a lot of progress in this field the last decade. The initiative to work on this comes more and more from within the education system itself and from governmental side from the Ministry of Economic Affairs. One of the programmes that I work for O2LAB aims to support this. 

Jeroen Fredriks
    Project Manager
    Netherlands Enterprise Agency
    The Hague
    +31650748059

• 8.  RE: Mandatory Entrepreneurship Education

Posted 12-26-2023 21:53

Dear Andreas, at Vilnius University (Lithuania), all business students have a mandatory Business creation course. At a Master's degree, some business students have Entrepreneurship courses. All other students can take an elective in Business creation. I am teaching Entrepreneurship for master's degree students. 

Erika

Erika Vaiginiene
    Vilnius University
    Vilnius
    (+370)61154664